Voucher Portability

Outgoing Vouchers

Current voucher holders who are residents of Beaumont, may “port” their Housing Choice Voucher outside of BHA’s jurisdiction.   However, if your name comes up on the waiting list and you are issued a voucher and you reside outside of BHA’s jurisdiction, you must utilize the voucher within the BHA jurisdiction for at least 12 months before porting out.

Participants may not port out if they are in violation of family obligations or if they owe a balance to BHA or their landlord.

For Admission to the voucher program, a family must be income eligible in the area where the family initially leases a unit with assistance under the program. If an applicant family exercises portability, the income limit of the receiving PHA is used.

DO NOT MOVE BEFORE COMPLETING ALL OF THE PORTABILITY PAPERWORK AND GETTING APPROVAL FROM YOUR CASEWORKER.   Failure to do so may result in loss of your voucher and cause you to be responsible for your full rent payment.

Incoming Vouchers

Clients wishing to transfer their voucher to BHA or to move to Beaumont should notify their Housing Counselor in their hometown for guidance on doing so.

The Housing Authority where they currently live should send all Portability paperwork to:

The Housing Authority of the City of Beaumont, Texas
1890 Laurel
Beaumont, TX 77701
Phone: 409-951-7200
Fax: 409-951-7272